I love the design of donuts but never really liked the taste. So I chose to bake mini look-alike-donuts of traditional norwegian almond cake "kransekake".
Almond ring cakes are easy to make and they taste delicious. They only contain three ingredients; almond, sugar and eggwhite. You can buy ready made almond flour in selected stores, or make your own. For this recipe you don´t have to blanch the almonds first if you make your own almond flour, since they rings are gonna resemble real donuts that are beige.
You can bake almond rings on parchment paper directly, or you can use a silicone donut mould. I bought my mini donut mould at aliexpress.com. This way you get perfect shaped donuts every time.
For 30 pieces of mini donuts I used
350 g of almond flour
350 g powder sugar
1 tsp arrack (can be excluded)
Oven 200° C
1. Mix almond flour, powder sugar, eggwhites and arrack in a bowl. Put the dough in plastic film and set to rest in the fridge for 24 hours.
2. Heat the oven to 200° C
3. Roll the dough evenly to approximately 0,7 cm thick lengths and form them to rings at parchment paper (make template rings first on the parchment paper diam: 6 cm) or use a silicone mold for mini donuts.
4. Bake the almond rings in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes. Let them rest until they are cold before removing them from the silicone mold (or parchment paper).
These almond rings can be stored in the freezer for several month, so they can easily be prepared in advance.
400 g powder sugar
80 g eggwhite
1/4 tsp cream of tartar * (can be excluded)
6 drops of bitter almond essence (can be excluded)
1. Whip the royal icing for at least 10 minutes to make it crisp white. Now you have a royal icing "glue".
2. Add water to the glue spoon by spoon just enough to get a runny consistency, approximately 3 tsp.
3. Divide the royal icing in three (or more) bowls and add a few of colour to each bowl to get pastel colours.
4. Put the coloured royal icing on plates and gently press the almond rings in the royal icing. To get tri-coloured almond rings, just make three stripes of different coloured royal icing on the same plate next to each other.
* cream of tartar speeds up the creation of foam and helps stabilize the structure of the eggwhite.
Now sprinkle away! I chose the very cute golden stars sprinkle from sweetapolita.com