Chocolate bunny cake with salted caramel
Chocolate cake with salted caramel and nutella frosting must be every chocolate lovers dream! Well here is how to make it!
NOTE! I baked the double amount of all recipes in this link to make a cake for more than 20 people.
50 g glucose
50 g double cream
50 g sugar
20 g butter
a pinch of salt
1. Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan.
2. Warm up and let shimmer (not boil) for 10-15 minutes, depending how thick you wish your caramel to be. (Check the consistency with a teaspoon of caramel in a glass of cold water).
NOTE! This is the best salted caramel recipe I tried since it does not burn and the sugar and does not crystallize. Thank you for the recipe @hageblomst
200 g flour
200 g light muscovado sugar
40 g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
100 g butter
200 g chocolate 70%
1,5 dl kefir
1 dl warm water
1. Set oven to 175° C
2. Butter two springform pans 15 cm diam, and then flour.
3. Blend all dry ingredients in a bowl. Chop 100 g of chocolate and add it into the bowl.
4. Melt the butter and once melted pour in 100 g of chopped chocolate.
5. Whip eggs and blend with kefir and water.
7. Mix all wet ingredients, pour into the dry ingredients and stir carefully
8. Pour the mixture into the two springforms and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes or more (check with a skewer, it's not supposed to come out sticky).
9. Let the cake cool down completely before mounting it. Cut the cakes in half horisontally using a cake cutting wire (or just a knife but then be careful not to break it!)
75 g butter
1 dl nutella
1 dl powdered sugar
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl til fluffy. The nutella has to be room temperature.
200 g butter
400 g powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
few drops of food colouring
Whip room temperature butter, sugar and vanilla in a kitchen aid for at least 10 minutes until it becomes white and stiff. Add food colouring and whip some more.
MOUNTING THE CAKE:
Put some buttercream on the cake stand and attach the first cake layer. Pipe a circle of nutella frosting and fill the centre with salted caramel and some roasted almonds (almonds optional).
Repeat the process until all layers mounted. (I chose not to slice the layers horizontally before mounting them, otherwise that would have been eight layers).
Now coat the cake with buttercream. I usually do this in steps. First I put the cakestand/cake on a cake turntable. Coat a first thin layer. Then drag a putty knife along the sides of the cake, while turning the table. Let the cake set in the fridge for ten minutes and repeat the process. On the top of the cake just swipe excessive buttercream from the edge to the centre with a cake spatula.
Now it´s time to decorate the cake. In a previous blog I instructed how to do sugarpaste figures, you can read about that here:
NOTE: I attached metal wires on the backside of each sugarpaste rabbit and glued them on with water and fondant to make them able to stand steady in front of the cake.
How I made the almond donut rings you can read about here.
So this is the final result. I love cute!